Monday, December 12, 2011

Riding in Elevators with Teddy Baseball, Joe D., Yogi & The Boomer

In the early 90's, I was following my dream to be a sportswriter. I started off covering high school bowling matches (I'm not kidding) until I worked my way up the ladder to be the sports editor for three of the Forbes weekly newspapers, notably South Plainfield and Bernardsville. During that time I developed a close friendship with my editor, Scott Zucker, who later moved on to be an editor for UPI (United Press International). One day Scott called me up and asked me if I would be interested in covering the Yankees and Mets home games. I couldn't say "yes," fast enough. So, for the summers of 1996 & '97, I walked among the baseball Gods; Jeter, Bernie Williams, O'Neill, Rivera, Gooden, Cone for the Yankees, Jeff Kent, Johnny Franco, John Olerud, and of course the irrepressible Butch Huskey for the Mets.

But during these days where I was afforded the opportunity to interview the likes of Joe Torre, Darryl Strawberry and Wade Boggs, it was really the run-ins in elevators with baseball immortality and a broadcaster that will forever stand out in my mind.

I can't give you the exact dates, most likely one or both of these elevator rides occurred on "Old Timers Day" or "Opening Day," at Yankees Stadium. The first that stands out is a time I was taking the elevator up from the locker room level to the press box....I am alone...the elevator "bings," the doors open and in walks Ted Williams. I hope he didn't see my jaw drop to the floor, but maybe he was used to it. Without even looking at me, heck I didn't even think he noticed I was in the tiny room, he said, "how you doing son? great day for a game, right?" I barely mustered, "sure is," and before I knew it the doors opened, he walked out and he was gone.

The next run-in was with good old Mr. Coffee, Joe DiMaggio, himself. I was riding in the elevator with some of the Yankee brass, when in came Mr. DiMaggio and I would guess his assistant. I could actually feel the cowering in the corner from the Yankee workers, avoiding all eye contact. I didn't know better, it was like looking into the sun. Not a word was spoken and in seconds, my brush with immortality was gone. Other elevator rides included the likes of Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto and having dinner with Mets broadcaster Fran Healy. Yogi and the Scooter were effusive, both asking me all kinds of questions about who I worked for, what I thought of the team and were genuinely interested in my responses. Ironically, I never liked Healy as a broadcaster, but left dinner that night impressed with our conversation and grateful he sat with me and broke bread.

My last elevator run in, was actually my first. In 1994, Scott asked me if I'd like to go with him to Pittsburgh to write a few of the sidebar stories at the All-Star game. Standing in the elevator at our Pittsburgh hotel, Scott at a whopping 5'-8" and myself towering at 5'-10", in walks ESPN announcer, Chris "Boomer" Berman, looking down at us from his 6'-4" perch. I seriously thought he was going to bend down and say, "hey little buddy, how ya doing?"

Those days are over now...no more riding in elevators with famous people....although I did share one with Indy Car Hall of Famer, Mario Andretti at Monmouth Park this summer....so who knows? Maybe there is more to come! I can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment